Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Kids & Obnoxious Parents

I have been coaching kids for almost 20 years but the one thing that never changes is the overly supportive parent that begins the game by talking calmly to other parents & sharing stories about their wonderful children but as soon as the score gets close, their child is benched, the referee or umpire makes a bad call on the team or their child, you would think the parents became posessed by demons. Some parents go crazy, they become parent, coach, enforcer & referee all at the same time. I have had parents yell at their child to go to a certain position on the basketball court, swing the bat a certain way, yell at coaches, parents & officials. I have had parents run onto the field to attack an opposing player (yes, child player), parents, officials & coaches. It has been said that some parents are re-living their youth through their children but I think that although this might be partly true, I believe there are some parents that want their child to be a super star & they will do anything possible to achieve this & if anybody gets in the way of stardom, you will have what I call "parent Bi Polar disfunction". It isn't a recognized medical condition yet, but I am sure it will be, in the near future.
Some parents get so out of control during child activities & competitions that they lose control of all brain function, they become clinically insane. I know I am using clinically, even after what I posted in another blog but I sat around & talked about this with some friends & according to the dictionary, that qualifies as clincally proven.
I know that when my kids have been left out or not been given the opportunity I felt they deserved or had a bad experience, I have jumped in front of them as if shielding them from harm but what I now realize is that although we want to protect our children & see them succeed but nobody will succeed at everything. The one thing we neglect is that learning to deal with hardships makes our children stronger. We may not like the fact that our child isn't the team super star but look at most team super stars when they get older. that was the best time of their life & they are miserable as adults.
What I recommend to parents is to support your child & help them deal with trials & dissapointment but let them deal with it, don't do it for them otherwise they will be dependent on you or somebody else for the rest of their life & the last thing I want to stress as a coach, if you have the tendancy to be a "bi polar parent", take an aspirin & an anti anxiety pill before the games. I am not supporting drug use but am helping my fellow coaches. VBS

No comments: