Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Admiration or Weakness

A few incidents have taken place recently which caused me to stop & think. I know, thinking may not be my strong point (haha) but on this occasion my brain was actually working & I wanted to discuss my thoughts with you. When we admire somebody is it because we want to be like them, we feel we are the same as them & can relate or are we really feeling inadequate about our own abilities or place in life? I think it is a combination of many things but when I admire somebody, it can be because they have excelled in any field, have similar interests & you feel a bond or you can feel inadequate & wish you were like the person you admire. It can also be because they have something you want & the desire to have what others have, can be a motivating factor in many things but having what others have shouldn't be confused with coveting because to covet something or what somebody has is not admiration & tends to allow many other problems to consume you.
Admiration is not a bad thing & can actually help motivate us to improve our life if used correctly but as I have been contemplating those which I admire, I find a wide range of people that I would say I admire but for many different reasons. I admire people because they have perfected what their passion is & shared it with others, I admire people because they have excelled in what they do or what they love & I admire people who dedicate their life to helping others, not for personal gain or status in life but because they truly love people.
Why you admire somebody is your personal choice but the people we admire should motivate us to develop the same qualities in our own life & not try to be somebody else but to find out who we are & be the best we can be.

No comments: