Friday, October 16, 2009

Work Or Play

If you could have your choice to do any job you wanted or could do anything you wanted for pleasure, what would they be & would you choose pleasure or work five days a week?
I thought about this & if I could choose my profession, I would work five days a week because work is rewarding & the sense of accomplishment makes us feel useful or needed.
Don't get me wrong, I love to play but the rewards for playing are self gratification & would become tiresome after awhile, not unlike & family member coming to visit. You can't wait to have them visit & spend time with them but it is sure nice when they give the house back.(vbs)
I would choose teaching as my profession of choice & it would probably be ages 5th through 8th grade. As far as my choice for pleasure, it would be riding motorcycles vacations around the world or backpacking.
Just something to think about--hmmmmmmmmmm

3 comments:

sage said...

There are a few jobs I wish I had tried--like being an engineer on a train or a smoke jumper... but I like my work and I also like my time away from it--the cycle of work and play seem to go together. When I am able to retire, I don't think I'll just quit, but I'd spend more time writing. Good thoughts

Sheng Family said...

If I had a choice, I think I would probably chose pleasure, and my pleasures would be spending as much time with my kids and grandkids as possible. They change so much and grow so fast I wouldn't want to miss a thing....

Anonymous said...

You would make an amazing teacher Ralph, but you would have had to give up lots of your play time...believe me! I absolutely would choose not to work if I didn't have to, however if it was a rewarding/worthwhile/making a difference type of job a few days a week- perfect. I had 2 months off when we moved here, and had no problem whatsoever finding things to do. Nothing wrong with playing and doing yard work now is there? :)