Saturday, October 10, 2009

Lauries Reading Memes, What are yours

lauriepowerswildwest.blogspot.com/

Reading Habits Meme
Saw this on another blog and thought it looked fun. I've memed other people at the end of the post, but feel free to do it on your own.


Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

All the time. Popcorn, soda, ice tea, ice cream, coffee. In the winter hot tea or hot chocolate.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I only marked books when I was in college. Occasionally I do when I doing research, but I find it really didn't help me much.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?

Bookmark, with anything available. Receipts, shopping lists, sometimes even a bookmark.

Laying the book flat open?
Usually I can't. Hold it in both hands.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?

Both. Fiction runs to Westerns or pulp anthologies. Lots of history and memoir too.

Hard copy or audiobooks?

Hard copy. If I go on long trips I'll rent an audio book from the library.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?

I can drop it at any point. I usually have to because I can only sneak in reading here and there between other projects.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?

Nah. I should though. I always think I'll remember later to look it up and I always forget.

What are you currently reading?

My Life East and West by William S. Hart. Almost done.
Soiled Doves: Prostitution in the Early West by Anne Seagraves. Plus a short story pulp here and there.

What is the last book you bought?

Sons of Texas by Elmer Kelton

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?

I usually read two at a time because I get bored so easily. Sometimes I can read three, but usually one of them ends up getting neglected.

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?

In the mornings or the evening. I don't have much of a choice there because of my job. I love to read in my flower garden and have a wicker couch set up in there just for that.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?

I usually prefer stand alone. I like to jump around a lot so series have never appealed to me. The Sons of Texas series may be an exception though - I'm ready to start the next one.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
Not really. There are several I like, but no one I recommend in particular.


How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)

The house I'm renting right now has very small rooms so there isn't a place for one big library. So I have several bookshelfs all over the house - I've even emptied out a shallow linen closet and made it into bookshelves. Books are organized by subject: history, books on writing, classics, memoir, pulp fiction history (that's the linen closet) and fiction.

Okay, now it's the following blog's turn: Mark Engebretson, Howard Hopkins, Joanne Walpole, Evan Lewis, Chris Jones, Gary Dobbs, and of course Ralph Emerson.





No comments: