Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween

As I watch my grand kids get ready for Halloween today, I reflect on my own memories of Halloween past, when I was planning all day what I would wear & all the candy I would get that night. I am not quite sure why this traditional holiday continues even though I know from whence it came. the Celtics remembered their dead on this day & believed that the spirits wandered the streets seeking recognition for the lives they lived. The citizens would place pastries & food on door steps to satisfy the spirits & to insure good crops & good fortune. This belief & practice took on a new life of its own as people started dressing in costume to be mistaken as the dead spirits & thus be left alone by the spirits. The poor, in costume, wandered the streets & took the treats left for the spirits.
I don't know for sure but knowing how business is done, I am pretty sure that some entrepreneurial type, realized he could sell costumes & treats, setting in motion the grand celebration we have today.
Instead of having dead spirits wandering the streets, we have millions of little beggars wandering around in costume asking for candy & treats. I wonder sometimes about what we subject our children to & if we are helping them or hurting them? I don't know but I remember that when I was a kid, this was a fun time & I didn't see any harm it except for the ensuing toothaches & cavities(lol). Not really but this is about the only harm I see in it & if people have a problem with it, don't do it. Nobody is forcing you to participate & nobody really cares but when you try to stop others from enjoying this fun event, then shame on you & you need to lighten up. Life is stressful enough & just because you didn't get any candy when you were a kid, don't ruin it for others.
The world is to full of "tight asses" that don't have any fun so as far as I can see, anytime you can get people together to have fun & socialize, this is a good thing, even if it started with remembering the dead & maybe that also is not a bad thing. We can imagine as the early Celtics believed, lets have a celebration of those who have passed on & maybe we can have good fortune. That doesn't sound bad to me. I need to go carve pumpkins & get the costumes on because tonight we will be having fun together & I will remember my Brother & dad who have passed away, with the hope that they are with me tonight. Happy Halloween

3 comments:

sage said...

Halloween is a kids day--and it's sad as my daughter grows out of it. But it is so fun to see the kids come knocking at the door while their parents stand out on the sidewalk, holding out their bags... It's a blessings to share.

Leni Qinan said...

Hi Ralph!

We don't celebrate Halloween in my country, but lately it's becoming very popular and you can see a few kids disguised as skeletons, witches, vampyres and other evil beings, some even knocking at the neighbour's door, asking for sweets. It's a funny way to look at the Day of the Dead and kids love it.
The grown-ups are also joining this new tradition by Halloween organizing disguise parties -there's always a good excuse to have some fun ;)-.

Take care!

PS.- Thank you very much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I appreciate.

Laurie Powers said...

I'm sure your brother and dad are with you Ralph. And are very proud of you.