Sunday, September 27, 2009

We Are Programmed

I was fixing a cup of mint tea this evening & my grand daughter was all concerned because she said that tea is bad for me. I explained that mint tea is good & is good for you but she wasn't going to give in on this argument & since she is 4 & I am 51, I knew she would out live me & eventually would have the last word, so I being older & wiser thought I could change the subject. Not a chance. I said I was putting honey in it & that honey is good for you, she said yes it is but the tea ruins it & makes it unhealthy.
I told her she has sugar in apple pie & many cereals & that sugar is bad for your teeth. She said it's not as bad as tea. Her mom walked in & said she likes honey in her herb tea & my grand daughter looked at her with incredibly quizzical eyes & then a look of bewilderment. She took a moment to digest what she heard & then she said, Tea is bad for you & I won't drink it no matter who does because I was told it is bad & it is bad.
The point is, how do you argue with a child & why would you make such a ridiculous attempt because what is programmed into a child's brain is the rule, the law, the gospel & you won't convince them otherwise so be careful what you teach a child because they won't forget, good or bad.

No comments: