Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Old Friends

I have a pair of hiking boots that have taken me hundreds of miles over the most insane parts of the Sierra Nevada Mtns & although I no longer use them for backpacking, I love these boots & every time I put them on to run an errand or do chores around the house, it is like a spiritual experience, remembering all the hardships we faced together. Quit laughing because I know you are. I am not obsessed with these boots, I just have respect for them because they carried me when I was beyond my physical limits, so the thought of what we have done together becomes memorable & floods my mind with incredible experiences.
These hiking boots are like good friends, you don't have to see them every day or every year but if they are true friends, you will reunite as if no time has lapsed between the last visit. You will remember those incredible experiences shared & the feelings you have for each other.
I have found friends recently that have been lost to me for over 30 years & it is as if time stood still because I remember vividly, those experiences & relationships as if they happened yesterday.
Somebody recently told me that if we can have but one real friend in our lifetime, that we can share everything with & help us regardless of the outcome, we will be very happy & very lucky. I thought about this & wasn't sure I agreed because family can take the place of friends. As I had the experience with my boots & reconnecting with my dear friends, I now believe friends & family are different & that we really are fortunate to have any true friends in our life, that stand beside us no matter what & are always there for us. Family relationships are sometimes cumbersome because family members feel they are entitled by blood relation to give you advice whether you want it or not & family is always there, whether you want them or not. Family is crucial to a happy life but are infinitely different than Friends who are not family members.
To those I have recently reconnected with, thank you for being great friends & for helping me to mold my life with incredible experiences we have shared together in times gone by & hopefully we can have more adventures in the future.

2 comments:

Laurie Powers said...

Ralph, I hope I'm lucky enough to be considered one of your circle of reconnected friends, and I look forward to having you back in my life again. This is going to be hard to believe, but I think I've known you longer than any other person that I am still connected with - other than family and a few other family friends. I'm honored to be considered in the same vein as an old pair of boots.

Ralph said...

Well Laurie, I feel the same & although I like my old comfortable boots, I like my friends better of which I consider you a dear one & yes we have know each other a long time. Nice to reconnect.