Friday, September 25, 2009

Road Rage Reality

Don't say you dont do this, you haven't done this or you haven't caused this because if you do, you are telling a lie because if you don't think you have done this you are oblivious to your surroundings & are for that reason the very person that causes road rage.
Have you ever been late for something a come up behind a car that is going so slow that you can't believe they are moving forward & are putting their brakes on for every corner even though the corner sign says 55mph & they are going 30mph?
When this happens, I honestly try to go to a quiet place in my mind, I put on calming relax music & I think of relaxing things but what seems like hours & is probably only minutes all of a sudden erupts into rage, especially after they just passed their 2nd passing lane & I couldn't get by.
I have to say, I have calmed down over the years but once an opportunity arises, so that I can pass, it is like the start of a NASCAR race & the accelerator is floored & I am planning my worst possible anger face to show as I pass the car but then it happens. You get side by side with the car & realize it is a friend of yours, your family or a kid learning to drive with his parent in the passenger seat.
You realize that you are a horses ass & that you should quietly leave the scene, so as to heal your bruised & humbled ego. I have put myself in some crazy situations because of my aggresive driving style & I am sure, in fact I have no doubt that my wife prays for cars to pull over on the highway if they are ahead of me & for policemen to be in front of me or behind me.
Regardless of how you drive or how you deal with idiot drivers, think before you act & always remember that the dork ahead of you or behind you may be having a bad day, may be sick, may be somebody you know or may be somebody that is learning to drive so chill out & realize that this may be you one day & pay back is as they say, a *****.

1 comment:

Laurie Powers said...

Good post, Ralph. I think it makes it worse when you live in an area where the only major road is a two-lane highway. You're really at the mercy of people who don't pull over in those passing lanes. That's one thing I do not miss.