Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Who Is Tougher

I had a tooth ache recently that was pretty bad but I couldn't figure out where it was? I had a crown put on a couple months before & the pain seemed to be in that region of my mouth but I wasn't sure because it was deep in the roof of my mouth. I thought I needed a root canal to remove the nerves, of which I have had these before & understood that sometimes a crown can lead to a root canal. I took 2 aspirin and after several minutes the pain was gone. This was on a thursday afternoon & I was leaving friday morning to visit my daughter in Utah, so I was hoping the pain would get better & the aspirin would continue to fight the pain if needed. At the airport I had more pain, so I popped a couple aspirin (which of course can't be that great for you if not taken with lots of water, food or in abundance). I have received a stomach ulcer from taking aspirin so I was aware of aspirin abuse & it worried me. We got to utah & all was well, we visited with Summer, Phil & Vienn but after going to sleep at sometime around 2:00AM, I thought my head was hit with a baseball bat. My mouth & head hurt so bad, I could not hardly get up to get the aspirin. I have broken over 20 bones riding motorcycles or playing sports, I have cut my leg to the bone with a chain saw, I have crashed my motorcycle over 100 times with various injuries, I have had all the normal illnesses, headaches & pains but never in my life did I realize that there was a pain out there that topped all of the pain I had endured in the past. I was sweating profusely, I couldn't think of anything but the pain & was to the point of looking for pliers to pull the tooth out. I had two aspirin left & swallowed them, hoping for quick relief but not sure I would get any. After a few minutes of panic & pain, I called my dentist in California but he didn't answer. I left a message almost begging for a prescription for pain. Eventually the aspirin began working & the pain left, so I was able to sleep although I was worried because I wasn't going home for four more days & if I needed a root canal or some other procedure, I didn't want to do it in Utah.
I called a friend in Utah that is a doctor because my dentist cant give prescriptions out of state & he called in a prescription for pain medication & anti biotics but when the pain returned the next day & I used the new pain pills, they made me tired but never got rid of all the pain & after about 15 minutes the pain was horrible again. I told the doctor & he gave me a high dose of pain medication but it didn't help either so I was taking aspirin with Vicodine which probably isn't the smartest thing to do. I realized the pain meds weren't doing it for me so I stuck to the aspirin & after 3 days, the pain subsided to a normal toothache pain & then was gone. I made it home & went to dentist only to find out I already had a root canal in that tooth & that the pain must have been from an infection somewhere in the area but there was no evidence.
Now I am thinking I am the worlds biggest pantie waist & made this whole thing up but if this was a nightmare or if it was real, I don't ever want to experience that kind of pain again. With broken bones & other types of injuries you can usually find something which helps with the pain. You can elevate, add cold or heat, you can apply pressure or remove pressure but with my tooth or whatever the pain came from, I couldn't do anything except whine like a little baby & although it didn't ruin our trip, it was a huge part of it & I am grateful for aspirin.
For all the women out there, I have always heard that giving birth is the worst pain & if it is worse than the pain I had, there is no way I could handle it, so I came to the brutal truth that no matter how tough I may think I am, I am a wimp compared to you & that women are tougher than men. I suppose you already knew that & the only reason you let us guys think we are tough is so that our fragile egos don't get hurt.

No comments: