Sunday, April 26, 2009

Things To Do--Places To Go--People To See

I don't know what goes through my head when I accept civic responsibilities, volunteer for committees, groups, fund raisers, kid programs or activities but I can't seem to say no. It can drive my poor wife crazy & just by the nature of committing to so many activities & meetings, I believe I must border on in sanity or at the very least, "OWSMO" better known as (obsession with sharing my opinion) haha. Another term I use is "CID" (compulsive involvement disorder).
Regardless of which term you use or if you have a term of your own, I am involved at any given time in 3-8 outside of work & family activities, groups, committees or kid programs.
I am currently mentoring two boys, one is an 8th grader & one is a freshman from two different families, I am co coaching a 7/8 grade girls softball team with a co coach which is as great as there could be, I am on a school Board with 3 school sites, I am on a National forest advisory group which protects the rights of everyone to use the National Forest & I am on two water groups which strive to protect & preserve water rights for the community I live in.
I question whether this obsession/desire to protect the community & those who live here outweighs my ability to sit back & enjoy life? Maybe it is nuts to think anyone can make a difference & maybe I am warped to think anything is wrong but regardless of which way you look at it, I have very strong opinions on a wide variety of issues & am willing to jump head first into the arena to share those opinions.
My dad used to say that unless you get involved, you don't have the right to complain. With that being said, I must have a whole lot of complaints--haha.
Politics drive me nuts & I go crazy with all the stupid decisions that politicians make on what they say is " for our good". I am shaking my head right now & want to throw my computer out the window just thinking about the stupidity of some people that say they are doing what is best for me.
Well writing my thoughts on all I am doing hasn't cleared up whether I am in sane or not but it has been therapeutic so thanks for allowing me to vent while you witnessed my personal self evaluation & mental examination. VBS

No comments: